10.07.2008

My Sick Day

We've all had our moments when we're sick and our head is in the sky.  But I would bet this one tops them all.  

My loving boyfriend came home to thaw some chicken to make me chicken noodle soup with.  He turned the kitchen sink on, set the chicken in and left me on the couch watching tv while he went back to the office.  I kept an eye on it, moving it around to make sure all parts got thawed.  Next thing you know I got up to take a shower and as I walked to the bathroom I got that sinking feeling...

Turns out the plastic from the chicken had come loose and covered the sink drain.  To all of you reading this in North America, be thankful for the master engineering that goes into the sinks that you can't overflow (hole near the top as a secondary drain).  Until now, I took them for granted.  As I stood in two inches of water and looked around to the other three rooms that were just as full, I wished I had one.  I ran around checking electronics and making sure the most important things were out of the lake while I called Trevor to say, "Come home and bring some towels, I flooded the house."  From there I took three towels back and forth from the sink to Trevor's bedroom about 20 times trying to sop it all up...while Trevor and his friends literally swept the river of water out of the spare bedroom.  At first we were all in pure shock at the amount of water IN THE HOUSE... finally we started smiling and today we can joke about it.  

All in all we're thankful to have a partner who can lend one of her employees to come help and another friend who takes care of the house who came right over and spent a couple hours cleaning everything up.  We reflected on what would have happened had we lived in the states.  Anything from replacing carpeting to hiring a company with a wetvac.  But down here all you need is a few friends and a few towels.  Not only do people have the time to stop what they're doing and help you out, they smile and laugh while they're doing it.

And the chicken noodle soup was delicious.  

1 comment:

  1. What a great story, but what a bummer to have that happen when you are sick to begin with. You do put things into proper perspective. And just think what could have happened had the wrapper gone down the drain and plugged it ....somewhere deep. Makes me think of a story about five pounds of yeast.

    Glad the soup came out yummy. I am off to make some chicken and pasta myself!

    ReplyDelete