6.26.2008

La Quincinera

On Saturday I went to my first quincinera. I guess it's a Mexican thing to call the 15th birthday that, but it's how I know it. It was to celebrate Wendy's birthday and "coming of age" as they do at 15 in Latin America. Wendy is one of my closest tica friends since she used to work at the grocery store where the office is. She is such a sweetheart. So we went and hung out in this very tico like outdoor party where they fed us they typical rice, beans, chicken, and soda. There were mashed potatoes too, not sure where that came from. Anyhow, friends and family congregated and it was a really nice time. The coolest part of the party was wen they assembled the THREE-TIER cake with topper and everything. It got a little warm and Trevor and I began to make bets on when it would tumble, I was ready to leap out of my seat and catch it at any moment. It looked more like the leaning tower of Pisa than a wedding cake, and much less a birthday cake. The whole time was wonderful, and it was great to be welcomed as one of their own, rather than an outsider. I met tons of people who I now see daily and consider part of the extended family who lives in Sierpe. Next time you can come along, I promise they'll be plenty of cake!

2 comments:

  1. Oh I had the best plans for Haley's Quincinera - she turned 15 when she was in Busta's class! I am happy to know that you still have a regular supply of cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She'll make a nice addition to the family. Miss you guys
    Dad

    ReplyDelete